U n b o r n ~ an exploration of human connectivity ~ when we have it and when we don’t.
Each track is created from an initial vocal sketch. These sketches have been splintered, looped, processed, stretched, shrunk, reversed and overlapped. Some sounds are then woven in. My vocals are the backdrop, the beat, the rhythm, the melodies and the harmonies.
#Vocalinstrumentality #Looping #Experimental
1) Residue Pool: Scattered human connections. Trying to make sense of fragmented human interactions by gathering up all of the splintered pieces. Sequencing, re sequencing, finding them, losing them, splicing them all together again to form pulses and ripples, only to be repeatedly dismantled.
2) Sensory: Human connection for the very first time. A brand new perception and sensory awareness through beats (heart beats). Vital. A sweeping tidal rush of sensory overload. Birth:
"Sensory, censor me, sentence me, centre me, sensory."
"Beat, beat, beat...finally found the chorus..."
3) Too Precious: Absolute connectivity experienced through euphoric delight:
“Oh yeah, yeah, yeah….”
4) Ruby & the Time Flies: A connection made within dream states. Swimming in hallucinations with occasional lucidity and a surreal and unexpected vocal interlude. The ticking clocks and the time flies are the only indication of actuality:
“Ruby. Rubeeeee. Ruuubie. Dream fly, dream fly, dream fly. Could it be that you are ready, could it be that you are free? When you’re alone – you barely breathe. You are not where I abandoned you, underneath the tree, with eternity surrounding you; you will shake this cruel disease. Ruby.”
5) Black Winter Sun: Complete disconnection. The dissolution of the self and loss of trust in all human communication. An absolute dislocation from any system of belief. The eradication of any human connectivity. Despair:
“Oh I know, no, know, no, know, no, know, no, know, no...”
6) In Swathes: Human connectivity through intuition and all of the senses:
“I wrap my voice, I wrap my voice around you. All around. All around you. I hear voices – all around you. Voices, all around you. Voices, all around, all around you. Around. Around. All around you. Voices. All around. All around. I hear voices.”
Original vocal sketch: soundcloud.com/skyhighdiamonds/in-swathes-a-vocal-experiment-rough-draft-v1
In this exploration of human connectivity I have found so many voices. These include the isolated voice of the infant, the nurturing voice of the protector, the curious voice of the dreamer, the incantations of the warrior…all of these voices have manifested throughout this explorative process and were born into this collection.
Sounds best through headphones :-)
By Adolphe Millot - Nouveau Larousse Illustré, edited by Claude Augé, published in Paris by Librarie Larousse 1897-1904, this illustration from vol. 6 p. 473, Public Domain, commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3768427